Publish your programming book with us. Generate passive income for you or your company.
We, programmers, have a lot of knowledge to share - and we do it in many ways. Talking with your team, attending to conferences, joining local meetups - it’s all about sharing knowledge.
It is a true gem - it’s something that is quite unique in our industry. But sharing knowledge also has its cost - when you share it, you won’t get paid for this time.
After a while you may find yourself going meetups or conferences more rarely. It is because you have your bills to pay and you need to focus on work. You have a lot of knowledge and experience that is extremely valuable - and you’ve earned it during hours of hard work, researching solutions and writing code. You may feel the urge of sharing it all - but you don’t have time to do it for free.
The ideal solution would be to share your knowledge and be paid for it - people who paid for your knowledge will have it for a fraction of a price you paid to obtain it. Your expertise, in fact, will directly allow others to earn more money. Your knowledge can be applied to make features more maintainable and easier to ship, reducing the cost of an implementation. Or can be used to write more robust and secure systems, avoiding costs attached to service the failure.
The other problem with meetups & conferences is that they’re good for experiencing them, but not that useful when you want to refer to them. Unless they’re recorded, there is no way to refer to them later. And even if they are recorded, scanning videos are way less effective than scanning text.
Maybe you think you’re not a great book author. You think: Man, Fowler/Uncle Bob/Sandi Metz/
Have you ever thought about writing the book? Or maybe you’ve just started writing the content? That’s great! If you haven’t - maybe you’ll be convinced after reading it :).
In Arkency we’ve published many books. As with many things in the world, after writing the first one we’ve been totally surprised what side effects it caused. Earning money is, in fact, only one of the benefits you get from publishing a book.
Let’s iterate what dreams you can achieve by publishing a book:
- You have an asset that you can sell and it will benefit your readers a lot. This way you can make the community better and have resources to do so.
- Your book is not only beneficial for your readers but you can also use it to advertise you or your company. You can give it to your potential leads and/or refer to it if someone has a problem you’ve solved in your book.
- Being a book author proves that not only you are a great programmer, but you can teach others as well. It is a huge advantage during recruitment for your dream job.
- You’ll learn how to advertise your work, as well as how to reach more people with your content.
- You start generating a passive income. You can work less have more free time, but still earn money.
- Hey, aren’t entering in the bio on Twitter ‘Author of “your title” book’ feels awesome? :)
We’ve realised those dreams, built an audience that wants our books and want to share it with you.
Book publishing as a service
A journey from starting writing the book to publishing it is a rather lengthy process. There are many caveats you need to avoid if you want your book to be reached by lots of people. We made mistakes in the past and learned from it, so you won’t need to make them too.
What we offer is a complete support on all stages - from starting writing to publishing the book, as well as the ongoing support during the whole process. What you get is:
- An access to the dedicated Slack channel, where you can discuss about anything book-related with us.
- Help with the pre-start phase - brainstorming about the possible title, finding a good audience, planning marketing strategy, as well as using our channels to reach out to people with topics your future book will cover. Yeah, you haven’t misread it - it is optimal to think about reaching to people with your book before you write the first word in it!
- Help with building all non-book assets needed - a landing page, setup of environments for both generating your book and registering payments and so on.
- Help with the book content - how to find an optimal scope, cut it when needed and how to do it, as well as reviews. We also set up the dedicated book building pipeline so all you need to do is write - and you can see the preview after every change easily.
- Help with the first release - how to build a launch sequence and prepare events and assets that will help you to reach your audience and properly inform them to maximize sales.
- Help with further releases - no book was made perfect from the start. We’ll help you with turning every major update into another opportunity to sell more. Which equals to both more money and more people satisfied with your content.
We propose a 50/50 split of revenues. Which is, in fact, a bargain in this world :).
If you are interested, we’re happy to talk with you - just drop us an e-mail and we’ll set up details with you. We’re looking forward to hear from you!