I was wondering why only few programmers actively blog, so I asked for reasons on Twitter. Here are the responses.
If you’re a programmer, could you reply to me - why are you not blogging? If you are, then please reply, why are you not blogging more?— Andrzej Krzywda (@andrzejkrzywda) February 25, 2015
Click here to see all the responses as they appeared in original.
Here’s a short summary of the reasons:
- “What I do is not interesting to others”
- Coding is better than writing
- I’m not doing anything innovative
- “I don’t do side projects”
- “I don’t know what to write about”
- “what I want to write about is too obvious”
- writing is harder than coding
- everyone knows that already
- longer feedback loop, as compared to coding
Is there any other reason you’d like to add?
It’s worth noting that this survey may not be a good sample - those are from programmers who don’t blog, but they do tweet (which on its own is quite interesting).
Do you think the reasons can be addressed in any way? Does it make sense for programmers to blog more? I’ll leave you with those questions here :)